Right-of-Way Permits, Inspections, & Plan Review

The Engineering Department is responsible for the plan review, issuance of right-of-way permits and the inspections of any infrastructure improvements within the Town's right-of-way.


Anytime there are improvements planned for the infrastructure within the Town's Right-of-way, (2) sets of engineered drawings must be submitted to the Engineering Department for review and approval. This would include but is not necessarily limited to:

  • Utility installation or maintenance (APS, SRP, Century Link, Cox Communications and Southwest Gas)
  • New Sanitary sewer installation or the maintenance/repair of existing facilities
  • New Water main installation or the maintenance/repair of existing facilities
  • Street improvements including pavement/curb and gutter
  • Drainage improvements including culverts and bridges

Review time is no more than 10 business days.

Right-of Way Permit

After the improvement plans have been approved the utility company or responsible contractor, who is properly licensed to work in the right-of-way, must apply for a Right-of-Way Permit (PDF). At the time of permit application, the applicant must provide a Certificate of Insurance with the Town of Paradise Valley named as additionally insured in the amount of $2,000,000 (minimum). The permit is processed, no more than 10 business days, and the applicant called that it is ready for pick-up. At the time of pickup there will be a permit fee (PDF) along with a $2,000.00 bond (cashier’s check or money order). The bond is refundable as long as the Town does not have to perform any after-hours work at the site. If any after-hours work (i.e., remove barricades, reset plates, etc.) is required the time and man hours will be deducted from the bond.


The Town does provide inspection services for work that is performed within the Town’s right-of-way. Since most utilities are either privately owned or are the responsibility of another municipality the Town does not perform inspections on the actual pipe/conduit. The Town will however make sure that all backfill, and pavement replacement does meet Town requirements. Inspection of any work performed on the Town’s sanitary sewer system will include the pipe, backfill and pavement replacement. For next day inspections contractor needs to call before 3:00 p.m. the previous day.

For further information on plans, permitting and inspection call 480-948-7411.

For more information and guides on the Engineering Permits and Applications click here to go to the Town's Permits and Handouts Portal and navigate to the Engineering section.